Thursday, January 17, 2008

How We Eat

I'll be the first to admit that when I saw "How We Eat" that I thought it was going to be boring. I thought to myself "For a book that's $17.05 it better be really good". I read the first chapter or introduction and I must say I am not completely disappointed.
I like the author's writing style. One would think that if a person is writing on food it is like a critique, but that was not the case. The way Rappoport writes is interesting. The words he chose and his wording made the reading easy and understandable. His idea of trying to figure out how food affects us on different levels was interesting to me because I never really thought of food in more ways than it tastes good and is essential to survive.
I think his ideas will make the reader's rethink the ways we look at food. I look forward to this semester and trying to understand how food really affects people in more ways than we may realize.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i completely agree with you. A book about food was not my first choice on books to read this semester, but out of all my text books i like it the best. Rappaport really surprised me with his first essay. I find myself intrigued to continue reading.

Martha said...

I was totally the same way. I looked and it, and thought it was going to be really weird. But I loved the first chapter and I am interested to see what else he points out about food that I have never noticed before.